3,932 total views, 1 views today
Philippine NBA prospect Kai Sotto is now officially out of NBA G-League Team Ignite, the sides mutually announced Tuesday.
The statement read:
BREAKING: Team Ignite announces that Kai Sotto won't rejoin the team in the ongoing NBA G League bubble, says it was a "mutual decision." pic.twitter.com/FGeJuvQOvc
— Dino Maragay (@dino_mars) February 23, 2021
Sotto announced his intention to join Gilas Pilipinas for the 2021 FIBA Asia Cup qualifiers 3rd window, which was originally scheduled for Clark in the Philippines from February 18 to 22.
It was cancelled initially due to travel restrictions and hosting rights was given to Qatar.
But following a recent outbreak in the country, the bubble hosting was given back to the Philippines with dates to be announced later on.
This caused the 7-3 Sotto to be stuck in the middle of a tedious situation wherein his side ultimately decided to rejoin the G-League.
The G-League is currently holding its season in a bubble in Orlando, Florida.
However, due to travel difficulties and the on-going pandemic, as well as strict protocols, both camps decided it would be best for Sotto not to rejoin Ignite.
He was able to play a couple of scrimmages for the team but was never able to suit up in G-League as he opted to join Gilas, which he announced around January.
Sotto had been training in the United States for the past two years, first for prep team The Skills Factory.
He had received a couple of offers from D1 college basketball teams, but decided to pursue the G-League professional pathway program which was newly introduced at the time.
Sotto joined the likes of Jonathan Kuminga, Isaiah Todd, and Fil-Am Jalen Green in the team.
Now, the biggest question facing the 18-year-old Pinoy star is how will the recent events affect his draft stock, given a major platform to showcase his wares had been taken out of the equation.
Only time will give everyone answers.
- Football: ‘More competitive’ PFL to kick off July 2021; Copa Paulino Alcantara postponed - March 27, 2021
- PBA: JC Intal retirement mainly due to pandemic, family - March 25, 2021
- PBA: Ray Parks not banned, says Marcial; future uncertain – report - March 24, 2021