Jiho Yang is on the brink of delivering one of the biggest shock victories in the 68-year history of the KOLON Korea Open after stretching his lead to seven shots following the third round on Saturday, May 23.
The Korean continued his remarkable run with a second straight four-under-par 67 at Woo Jeong Hills Country Club, remaining in front for a third consecutive day. Yang now sits at 14-under-par in the Asian Tour event, putting him firmly in control heading into the final round.
![Jiho Yang moved seven shots clear at the KOLON Korea Open and is now one round away from a stunning breakthrough victory. Full article can be read via link in comments section. #Golf #KoreaOpen #AsianTour [Asian Tour photo]](http://sportsbytes.com.ph/wp-content/uploads/2026/05/260523_Jiho_Yang_009.jpg)
Yang Surges Clear as Chasers Fall Behind
Sweden’s Charlie Lindh is the closest challenger after posting a 68, while Mexico’s Abraham Ancer trails a further two shots back in third following a 70. Korean Jeunghun Wang carded a 68 and is fourth, another stroke adrift.
Yang, who came through pre-qualifying, is bidding to become the first player from that route to win the tournament. He began the day four shots clear and quickly widened the gap with a moment of brilliance at the par-five fifth, holing a 50-yard wedge shot for eagle. That highlight was sandwiched between birdies, with another birdie at the eighth sending him seven clear by the turn.
Despite early bogeys at the first and ninth, Yang steadied himself with a birdie at the 10th to move eight ahead. Lindh briefly reduced the margin to five with back-to-back birdies at the 11th and 12th as Yang dropped a shot at the 11th, but the gap widened again late in the round when Lindh bogeyed the 15th and Yang closed with a birdie at the last.
Lindh and Ancer, who is set to compete at LIV Golf Korea next week, are aiming to become the first non-Asian winner of the event since Rickie Fowler claimed the title in 2011, also at Woo Jeong Hills.
Experience, Confidence and Course Control
“I shot a bogey early, but I had a bit of a cushion, so I didn’t let it bother me,” said Yang. “I was actually pretty nervous playing alongside great players, but the atmosphere was great, which helped me finish strong.”
The 41-year-old credited his measured approach for his consistency. “I don’t think I played aggressively a single day this week. I was actually just trying to play safe, but the putts just happened to drop. It just goes to show once again that Woo Jeong Hills is not a course you can overpower with just distance.”
Yang has won twice on the Korean PGA Tour, at the 2022 KB Financial Liv Championship and the 2023 Hana Bank Invitational, but his performance this week eclipses anything he has produced in nearly two decades as a professional. His best previous finish at the Korea Open was a tie for 20th in 2019, and he placed 18th in the pre-qualifier for this year’s event just last month.
Reflecting on his pivotal eagle, Yang said: “I pushed my second shot and the ball ended up in some deep rough where I didn’t have much room for anything. We agreed just to get the ball out safely and try to save par, but the shot hit the pin and dropped in. That shot gave me huge momentum and energy.”
Lindh, whose form has improved steadily since late last year, remains optimistic despite the deficit. “I hit a lot of greens and managed the tough putts well,” the 28-year-old said. “As long as you’re on the right side, you’ve got a chance here.”
With green speeds increasing to 14 on the Stimpmeter, scoring conditions became tougher as the day wore on. “They dried up this afternoon and got super quick,” Lindh added. “You’ve got to be careful — big numbers are always possible on this course.”
Should Lindh mount a comeback, he would become only the second European winner of the event after Sergio Garcia in 2002.
Ancer, meanwhile, was full of praise for Yang’s performance. “He made everything,” the Mexican said. “Whenever he made a mistake, he got up and down. He played incredible golf, and it was really cool to watch.”
Elsewhere, Korean Minkyu Kim’s bid for a third Korea Open title ended abruptly after he was disqualified for signing an incorrect scorecard.